What's New
Search Engine
Photo Gallery
Unit History
Unit Honors
Voices Of Past
How To Submit

Presidential Memorial Certificate for Deceased American Veterans

Every American family that has a deceased member who served in the military should apply to the White House for a Memorial Certificate.

Regardless of when a veteran served or cause of death every family is entitled to receive a Memorial Certificate from the President of the United States.

If any deceased member(s) of your family served in the military please travel to this website for information on applying. Future generations of your family will appreciate you making the time to obtain this family heirloom... your only cost is a few moments of your time and the price of a first-class stamp.


This program was initiated in March 1962 by President John F. Kennedy to honor the memory of honorably discharged deceased veterans, and has been continued by all subsequent presidents. Statutory authority for the program is Section 112, Title 38, of the United States Code.


The United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) administers the program by preparing the certificate which bears the President's signature and expresses the country's grateful recognition of the veteran's service in the United States Armed Forces.


Eligible recipients include the next of kin, other relatives or friends. The award of a certificate to one eligible recipient does not preclude issuance to another eligible recipient.


Eligible recipients, or someone acting on their behalf, may apply for a Presidential Memorial Certificate in person, or through the mail with any VA Regional Office. Applicants should provide a copy of any document which would help establish honorable military service.

In most cases involving recent deaths the local VA Regional Office originates the application for a Presidential Memorial Certificate without a request from the next of kin. VA Regional Offices normally are aware of veteran deaths when processing a claim or a change in veterans benefits.

Requests for certificates may be made through any local VA Regional Office, or by writing to:

Office of Memorial Programs
National Cemetery System
US Department of Veterans Affairs
810 Vermont Avenue NW
Washington DC 20420



Copyright and all other rights reserved by the Family and Friends of The 508th Parachute Infantry Regiment Association or by those who are otherwise cited,
For problems or questions regarding this web site, please contact