What's New
Search Engine
Photo Gallery
Unit History
Unit Honors
Voices Of Past
How To Submit

Augusta Airborne Trooper Puts "Lie" on Nazi Story
   Another lie was given to the Germans  --- this time about the annihilation of the 82nd Airborne Troops --- by a letter from Cpl Jesse B. Evans to his mother, Mrs.. J. B, Evans of 1709 Walton Way.
   He said the 82nd, instead of being annihilated as the Germans claimed "did some rough fighting and wiped out the Germans as we went in. Ask any German about the 82nd and he won't have anything good to say about it."
   Cpl Evans was wounded in the invasion and is now in England recovering from a wound in his arm.  He left two  close buddies, Larry Palmer of the Milledgeville Road here and Bob Bennett from Tennessee, over in Normandy.  Evans who was the 12th paratrooper to leave his ship, didn't see the other two for five days.
   "When we did get together it was like this", he wrote.  "Bob came up and we were standing  talking and worrying about Larry when he came running up.  He had a real heavy beard and he was really looking rugged. 
 When he saw Bobby and me, tears ran down his cheeks, I was never so glad to some anybody my life."
   Evans joked about the daily danger they all faced.  He said that his platoon sergeant told him that if the war didn't end soon he (the sergeant) would be taking nerve tonic for the rest of his life.  Evans said the war gets on nerves at first, but doesn't last long. He set out claim to be the champion fox-hole diver.
   "I can dive 100 yards for my foxhole in 1-100th part of a second.  And I can hide behind a blade of grass."
   In another part of his letter Cpl Evans holds out hopes of getting home for Christmas.  "It certainly would be swell if we could have a quiet Christmas together. It would be the very think [sic] I need to settle my nerves."
   Charlie Evans, a brother of Jesse, is also with the American forces overseas, and participated in pushing the Germans out of Rome.  Both young men are active workers in the Woodlawn Methodist Church.

(Date of publication unknown, newspaper may have been the Augusta, [GA],  Chronicle]

  He's Paratrooper
It's a WAC, --- no, its a paratrooper!
   One of the most unusual stories to happen around here lately concerns Cpl Jesse B. Evans, who is a paratrooper stationed in Nottingham, England.
   Over the AP wire came the following story: "Amid all the red-robed ceremony this ancient city could supply, 48 girls from 48 states drank toasts, ate luxurious food and rubbed shoulders with generals today in celebration of American-British friendship.
   Listed as the representative from Georgia was Cpl Jesse Billy Evans, son of Mr. and Mrs. J. B. Evans, 1709 Walton Way.
   Thinking the Corporal a WAC, The Herald called to locate a photo of WAC Cpl Jesse B. Evans only to discover Cpl Hesse B. Evans is a paratrooper who has been in the Army for two years and overseas since December 1943.
   Maybe its a good thing for the Herald that Cpl Evans is in England.


[Notes:  It seems as though the AP was guilty of promulgating this error as the story cites " 48 girls from 48 states drank toasts ..."
   Also, the event that Jesse Evans attended took place in Nottingham's Council House and was hosted by the Lord Mayor.  The news article headlined NOTTINGHAM "AT HOME" TO THE U.S. ARMY] was captured in David Pike's book Airborne in Nottingham and begins on page 14.  Jesse's name appears in the middle of paragraph 2, page 15.

Sgt Evans Missing
   Sgt Jesse B. (Billy) Evans, member of the 82nd Paratroop Division, has been missing since September 17, according to a War Department message received by his parents,  Mr. and Mrs. J. B. Evans, 1709 Walton Way.
   The 22-year-old sergeant had written to his parents on September 16, the day before he was to have jumped ne Arnheim where British airborne troops met with disaster.
   Checking through the files of Sgt Billy Evans, one sees a colorful record typical of  a fine Augustan and American soldier.
   He has been in the Army over two years, goi9ng overseas in December 1943.  He participated in the invasion and was wounded.  After treatment at an English hospital he returned to the battle fields again.
   Evans ked about the daily danger he faced.  In a letter to his mother he wrote "I can dive 100 yards for my foxhole in 1-100th part of a second.  And I can hide behind a blade of grass."

While participating in the invasion of France, Sgt Evans,  Cpl Larry Palmer, of Augusta, and Bob Bennett, of Tennessee, became such fast friends that when Sgt Evans' mother sent him a dollar bill, the paratroops divided it searing to put the  three parts together again and go into business after the war.
   A brother, Charlie Evans, is also with the American forces overseas.    Both young men are active workers in the Woodlawn Methodist Church.
   His mother is director of the 11th district P.T.A., which held its annual meeting here at St. Paul's  Episcopal Church Tuesday.

[Note:  The newspaper falsely placed Sgt Evans in the area of Arnheim for this jump and used a bit of sensationalism by linking him to what was termed "where British airborne troops met with disaster".



Copyright and all other rights reserved by the Family and Friends of The 508th Parachute Infantry Regiment Association or by those who are otherwise cited,
For problems or questions regarding this web site, please contact