What's New
Search Engine
Photo Gallery
Unit History
Unit Honors
Voices Of Past
How To Submit



   Thursday afternoon, October 18 [1945], 1st Lt. Joseph Hall of the 508th Prcht. Inf. [Company D) was decorated with the British Military Cross by Lt. Gen., Sir F. E. Morgan head of UNRRA on the 508 Regimental Parade grounds.
   The Military Cross was awarded Lt. Hall for outstanding gallantry in action during the period 27 Dec., 1944 to January 1, 1945 near Haute-Bordeaux, Belgium.
   Lt. Hall volunteered for patrol missions on Dec. [27] 1944, and as a result of his personal courage and leadership, his patrols harassed with rifle fire a battalion of enemy assembling for attack, and then directed artillery fire upon the enemy which completely broke up the attack.
   On the 28th of December, Lt. Hall and a small patrol made their way into enemy lines near the village of Reharmont, Belgium where he fired 20 rounds of mortar ammunition into enemy formations, inflicting severe casualties.
   On 31 December 1944, Lt. Hall led a patrol of six men which ran into an advanced German party which outnumbered his men by far. Without hesitation Lt. Hall deployed his men and attacked so hard and fast that the enemy was completely scattered and left twelve of their dead behind.
   Lt. Hall also led his patrols through many successive missions which received highly valuable information of the enemy, inflicting severe losses upon the enemy and contributing heavily to the complete failure of German attacks in this sector.
Lt. Hall hails from Salem, New Jersey.

(Tthe "Devils Digest", (Vol. II - No. 4), Saturday, Nov. 10, 1945]

The actual citation acquired through the British National Museum reads as follows:

   On 27 December 1944, near Bodeaux [sic], Belgium, Second Lieutenant HALL, a platoon leader, voluntarily led a combat patrol 1,400 yards [approximately 3/4th of a mile] behind enemy lines.  Observing a enemy column approaching, he unhesitatingly brought the column under fire and personally accounted for several casualties.  The concentration of troops and a self-propelled cannon were brought under heavy artillery fire at his request.  While the shells were falling on his target, he directed his patrol in encircling fifteen Germans and succeeded in capturing thirteen of the group.  For a period of six hours, he gallantly directed his men in a daring reconnaissance of enemy-held territory.  By his marked leadership and personal courage, he obtained vital intelligence information which aided considerably in future operations against the enemy in the area.

Copyright and all other rights reserved by the Family and Friends of The 508th Parachute Infantry Regiment Association or by those who are otherwise cited,
For problems or questions regarding this web site, please contact