12-18 June 2016
GOOD NEWS STORIES OF THE WEEK:
Panther of the Week: SGT(P) Jonathan Mendez (A/1-508 PIR) is serving as a Squad Leader in his platoon. He recently passed the SSG board on his first attempt. Additionally, as a leader in PT in the company (his squad consistently has the highest PT average in the company), SGT(P) Mendez volunteered to lead A Co's remedial PT program. Lastly, this week his automatic riflemen achieved the highest average score in the company on the machine gun qualification range.
- SSG Phillips (B Co) graduated from Recruiter School on the Commandant's List.
1-508 PIR's focus this week has been preparation for OPN PANTHER SHIELD, including conducting our BN CAR and CPX #1. During the CPX, the staff refined our TOC layout, updated our MCSOP, and built new analog products. We executed TOC battle drills to reinforce our SOPs and train new TOC personnel. Outside of the CPX, A Co executed a highly effective machine gun zero and qualification range across two days for the battalion in preparation for JRTC, facilitating 56 x M240B gunners and 38 x M249 riflemen to qualify on their weapon systems. Our S2 NCOIC and the brigade's Master Raven instructor, SSG Roseberry, continued training all Raven Operators in the brigade. Our S2 section conducted physical inspections this week of all arms rooms in order to renew ammunition licenses. Early in the week, our line companies conducted MILES training to prepare for the BCT FTX and JRTC. Lastly, C Co conducted STX and MOUT training for 91 Paratroopers, training on breaching, conducting an ambush, and patrol base establishment [storyboard attached].
1-508 PIR's focus will be outload and execution of OPN PANTHER SHIELD.
- LEADER DEVELOPMENT:
- 1-508 PIR has one leader who passed JMPI for the Jumpmaster Course and is now on the Needs PWAC Roster, four Paratroopers in Ranger School (2 x Darby, 2 x Mountains), and one recent Pre-Ranger Course graduate - making a total of three Paratroopers who will attend the next Ranger Course. Also, HHC's Scout Platoon Leader graduated RSLC and a Sniper graduated Sniper School this week.
- 1-508 PIR received two USMA CTLT Cadets this week and immediately conducted in-briefs, counseling, and preparations for the BCT FTX. They are currently Platoon Leaders for our Scout Platoon and 3rd PLT, C Co.
BUILD READY AND RESILIENT PARATROOPERS AND FAMILIES:
- HHC conducted an FRG meeting on Tuesday at the Dragon Bowling alley, where the FRG paid for the first hour of bowling. The event was a success and provided an opportunity for the company and families to socialize together and further develop esprit de corps.
- This week to date, 1-508 PIR conducted services on 61/185 weapons, 0/0 NVGs, and 3/23 pieces of rolling stock. Additionally, we turned in or prepared for turn-in 18 pieces of excess equipment.
MAJ Dru Rhodes
1-508 PIR Operations Officer
3BCT, 82nd ABN DIV
FURY FROM THE SKY