What's New
Search Engine
Photo Gallery
Unit History
Unit Honors
Voices Of Past
How To Submit

Lt Ralph E. DeWeese - H Co.

Ralph DeWeese was killed in action (KIA) on the 23rd September 1944 in Holland.

He wrote a diary of events before his death.  This is part of his diary.

"We were alerted on the 4th June 1944, and the weather closed in, so it was postponed. The night of 5th June we loaded up and got ready to go.

I was surprised the way the men reacted. They were very calm and most of them went to sleep after the take off.

It was quite a sight to see all of those planes in the air, the night was clear and you could see the ground very easily.

We flew between 2 little islands, Guernsey and Jersey, which is where we encountered our first flak attack. At that time I was standing in the door and it seemed as if the flak was coming right up to us.

Very soon after, we hit the French Mainland.

I mean to tell you, they knew we were coming. It looked like we were going through one immense 4th of July celebration. At times I ducked away from the door because it came so close.

Puffer was right behind me and kept his hand over the red jump light to keep it from showing.

Lt Quaid's plane was in a hot-spot due to the fact the tabs had blown off the bundle lights and they had come on. That left the plane a target in the sky and everything was zeroed in on him. I thought for sure that they were going to get it.

We circled over Etiennville three times and I knew the planes were lost. You can imagine how anxious we were to jump because I knew we couldn’t fly around much longer without getting hit.

The flak and machine gun fire was worse and it is hard to realise how those planes can fly through it. I was watching Quaid's plane and saw some men jump.

At that time I drew my head back in and saw the Green light was on. At that moment I hollered, "LETS GO AND HIT THE SILK!"

The plane was going a little too fast but I had a nice easy opening.

The flak and machine gun fire was so heavy; I believe that you could have walked down on it. It was too bad that some men got hit and never got a chance to get out of their chutes.

Others had their canopies on fire due to the firing of tracer bullets.

Copyright and all other rights reserved by the Family and Friends of The 508th Parachute Infantry Regiment Association or by those who are otherwise cited,
For problems or questions regarding this web site, please contact