What's New
Search Engine
Photo Gallery
Unit History
Unit Honors
Voices Of Past
F&F Association
How To Submit


Mrs, Davis Receives Letter In Regard To Her Son Pvt Davis

   WAR DEPARTMENT The Adjutant General's Office
 Washington D C
July 25 1941

 Mrs. Mary Davis
900 West Main
Yukon Oklahoma

 Dear Mrs. Davis
  : This letter is to confirm my recent telegram in which you were regretfully informed that your son Private Willard Davis 38,210,329, Infantry has been re- (Continued to page 4)

SERVICE NOTES (Continued from page 1)

ported missing in action since June 11, 1944.
   I know that added distress is caused by failure to receive more information or details.  Therefore I wish to assure you that at any time additional information is received it will be transmitted to you without delay, and, if in the meantime no additional information is received, I will communicate with you at the expiration of three months.
   The term "missing in action" is used only to indicate that the whereabouts or status of an individual is not immediately known.  It is not intended to convey he impression that the case is closed.  I wish to emphasize that every effort is expended continuously to clear up the status of our personnel. Under war conditions this is a difficult task as you must readily realize. Experience has shown that many persons reported missing in action are subsequently reported as prisoners of war but as this information is supplied by countries with whom we are at the war, the Department is helpless to expedite such reports. However, in order to relieve financial worry, Congress has enacted legislation which continues in force the pay allowances and allotments to dependents of personnel being carried in a missing status.
   Permit me to extend to you my heartfelt sympathy during this period of uncertainty.

Sincerely yours
J. A. Ulio
Adjutant General

[The Yukon Oklahoma Sun, Yukon, OK, 03 Aug 1944, Thu, Pages 1 and 4]

City Paratrooper
Reported Missing,
Cables Parents

An Oklahoma City paratrooper. Sgt. Alvin Henderson. reported missing in action in France since D-day, is alive and safe, his parents. Mr. and Mrs. A P. Henderson, 329 SE 18. learned Saturday.
   The news was. received in a cablegram which said, "My thoughts are with you.  We are well and safe."
   The parents of the 22-year-old former University of Oklahoma medical student,. leader of the bazooka section of his paratrooper unit, had known for days that other members of his group returned to England three weeks ago.
   This word had come from families of other men in the group. The telegram Saturday confirmed their hopes that their son was safe in the face of a war department announcement that he was missing.
   One member of his group. Willard Davis. El Reno [OK], was reported injured in the invasion, A third member was known by the Hendersons to be missing in action.

[The Daily Oklahoman, Oklahoma City, OK, 20 Aug 1944, Sun, Page 12]

   Pvt Willard H. Davis
Is Prisoner of War

  Mrs. Mary Davis received word August 17, her son Pvt Willard Davis reported missing in action June 11th is a prisoner of war in Germany.
   Mrs. Davis ‘ said "Thank God he is not dead: I am looking forward to the day when he and all the boys will come home to a free America, the country he and all his buddies are fighting for.
   Willard's father fought in World War No. 1. Besides his mother and father he has two sisters Mrs. J. D. Bills, Mrs. LeRoy Crappie and one brother D. W Davis, all of the home address.

[The Daily Oklahoman, Oklahoma City, OK, 24 Aug 1944, Thu, Page 1]


Willard Davis Liberated From Prison, To Be Home Soon

   Mr. and Mrs. Denton Davis have received a cablegram from their son Pvt Willard Davis saying “Am well and safe expect to be home soon Love”
   Pvt Davis was made a prisoner of war by the Germans June 19 last year when he was wounded The message was sent through the U S Army Signal Corps.

[The Yukon Oklahoma Sun, Yukon, OK, 6 Jun 1945, Thu, Page 1]

Pvt Willard Davis sustained  sustained injuries and bruises Saturday night when the motorcycle he was riding collided with the Tenth street bridge.

[The Yukon Oklahoma Sun, Yukon, OK, 2 Aug 1945, Thu, Page 1]

Crash Is Fatal To Willard Davis Willard Davis 26 veteran of World War Two and son of Mr. and Mrs. Denton Davis, Yukon died at Oklahoma General hospital Monday night from injuries received when a car in which he was riding driven by Charles F Vian overturned six times on a road one mile north of Bethany.
   Vian was only shaken and bruised in the crash. He was arrested for drunk driving by the patrolmen, charges being filed in common pleas court Oklahoma City.
   Services for Willard Davis will be held at the Turner funeral borne at 6 p.m. this evening, Thursday.
   Willard Davis served months in World War Two, eleven months of which was in a German prison camp.
   He was decorated with three battle stars, the purple heart, good conduct medal, marksmanship medal ETO ribbon and was a private first class.

[The Yukon Oklahoma Sun, Yukon, OK, 25 Jul 1946, Thu, Page 1]

[courtesy of Guy B. Owen]

Grave marker for Willard H. Davis in Yukon Cemetery, Yukon (Canadian county), Oklahoma.

Willard registered for the draft in Oklahoma, specific place and date unknown, and was inducted in the Army at Oklahoma City, OK on 28 September 1942.

Pvt Davis was transferred from the Reception Center, Fort Hayes, OH to Company A, 508th PIR on 20 October 1942.

On 11 June 1944, Pvt Davis was reported missing in action as of 11 June 44.

He was liberated from Stalag 4B Muhlberg Sachsen 51-13 on 9 June 1945.  [Note: unlike most POW records, his date of capture was not stated]


Copyright and all other rights reserved by the Family and Friends of The 508th Parachute Infantry Regiment Association or by those who are otherwise cited,
For problems or questions regarding this web site, please contact