Leonard R. Eyestone - Leonard was born in Hart, Michigan. He met the love of his life, Frances "Marie" Chester, at the Twin Lake dance hall called the "Blue Heaven."
He entered the Army on February 20, 1942, and served during World War II with the 508th Paratroopers. On June 9, 1943, he married Marie in Bennetsville, South Carolina. He spent two years overseas in the European-African & Middle-east war zones, earning 4
bronze battle stars. He was discharged on Sept. 30, 1945, just before the end of the war.
When he got home, he and Marie bought a small house in Muskegon, Michigan, and together they raised six children, Lynn, Kathy, Richard, Lee, Lori and Lisa. He worked at Muskegon Monument & Stone Co. for 35 years.
He enjoyed camping with all the extended families, and for many years used a home-made tent camper. Then he and Marie bought property on the Au Sauble River near Freesoil, where everyone would come to camp. He also enjoyed hunting and fishing. He was a big strong man who was a loving husband and father.
He passed away suddenly due to a heart attack, and was survived by his dear wife, Marie; children, Lynn (Dennis) Young, Kathy (Michael) Holman, Richard Eyestone, Lee Eyestone, Lori Eyestone and Lisa Eyestone; and many grandchildren, nieces and nephews. He is dearly loved and greatly missed by all who knew him.
(Excerpts taken from "Our Chester Heritage" by Jean Chester.)
(courtesy of K Sanders)
Grave marker for Leonard R. Eyestone in the East
Dalton Oakhill Cemetery, North Muskegon (Muskegon county), Michigan.
Leonard enlisted in the Army at Fort Custer, MI on 26
Pvt Eyestone was assigned to Service Company, 508th
PIR and was relied upon for special duties on at least two occasions.
During the Tennessee Maneuvers Pvt Eyestone was sent
on Detached Service to the 2nd Army Maneuver #3 Camp Forrest, Tennessee.
Later while the regiment was in Camp Cromore, Ireland
Pfc Eyestone was a member of the advance detail that established the
initial camp at Wollaton Park, England.
was promoted to the rank of Corporal on 21 June 1944. By the time
he was transferred to the 513th PIR in August 1945 he had attained the
rank of Staff sergeant.