What's New
Search Engine
Photo Gallery
Unit History
Unit Honors
Voices Of Past
F&F Association
How To Submit


Daniel Thomas Furlong passed away peacefully on Tuesday, December 2, 2014, at Riverside Assisted Living in Soldotna, Alaska at the age of 92.

Daniel was born in Seattle, Washington on September 22, 1922, son of Thomas & Mary Alice Furlong. He has called Soldotna home since 1977.

Sergeant Furlong was a member of Company H 508th Parachute Infantry, 82nd Airborne Division. He served overseas in the European Theater of Operations in combat with the 82nd Airborne. He was in charge of both a 60mm Mortar Squad and Rifle Squad and made two combat jumps over enemy territory in Normandy and Holland. Daniel earned several medals including two Purple Hearts, from wounds received in Normandy and at the Battle of the Bulge, a Bronze Star, and a Distinguished Unit Citation.

Daniel was a WWII Hero and “Lifetime Hero” to his family and a long time member of the VFW and Elks Club.

Daniel was preceded in death by his wife, Mary Delores; grandson, Jon R. Furlong; and parents Thomas & Mary Alice.

Mr. Furlong is survived by sons Daniel and wife Claudia of Soldotna, Alaska; William and wife Lani of Soldotna, Alaska; Kenneth and companion Gloria of Maple Valley, Washington; and many loving grandchildren and great grandchildren. He was a loving father, husband, grandfather and great grandfather.

A Celebration of Life will be held at 1:30 p.m. on Thursday, December 11, 2014, at Peninsula Memorial Chapel with the VFW officiating. Following his cremation, Daniel’s ashes will be interred at the Tahoma National Cemetery in Kent, Washington.

[courtesy of Donald Miller]

Columbarium niche marker for Daniel T. Furlong in Tahoma National Cemetery, Kent (King county), Washington.

Daniel enlisted in the Army at Tacoma, WA on 11 October 1942.

On 16 December 1942 Pvt Furlong was one of 158 men transferred from Camp Toccoa, GA to Co H, 508th PIR at Camp Blanding, FL.

By 1 September 1943 he was promoted to Corporal and appointed to Sergeant on 27 March 1944.

Sgt Furlong was wounded in action in France on 20 June 1944 and evacuated.  He returned to duty on 8 July 1944.

He was again wounded in action in December 1944.  According to an account told by Ralph Busson, "… Furlong got shot in the face. One bullet hit below the eye and came out behind the ear. I call that a million dollar wound."

On 27 March 1945, still hospitalized, Sgt Furlong was listed as relieved from assignment and transferred to the Detachment of Patients at an unknown hospital.  he did not return to the regiment.

Following the war Dan was a regular attendee at 508th
PIR Association meetings.