What's New
Search Engine
Photo Gallery
Unit History
Unit Honors
Voices Of Past
F&F Association
How To Submit



Sgt. Philip Gagnebin, who had been visiting here with his mother, Mrs. Fay Jameson, and with his sister. Mrs. Erma Polley. of Ridgeway, who is a patient in a hospital at Bethany, returned last Wednesday to Camp McCoy, Wis., where he is stationed. 

[The Albany Capital, Albany, MO, 21 Aug 1952, Thu, Page 1]

Philip Gagnebin, who has just recently arrived from overseas and received his discharge from army service, accompanied by his wife of Kansas City, spent the week end here with his mother, Mrs. Dewey Gagnebin.

 Head and Arm Injuries Are Suffered by Philip Gagnebin, 31
--- He Was Steering Rear Section of Vehicle.

   A fireman steering the back section of a hook-and-ladder truck was injured yesterday when a mechanical overhead door closed as the truck was leaving No. 1 station, 1020 Central street.
   The fireman. Phillip Gagnebin, 31 years old. suffered head lacerations and an injury to the left arm. He was taken to the Northeast Osteopathic hospital, where his condition was said to be good.
   Gagnebin was struck by the door as he jumped to get out of the way. He was knocked to station house floor. The door tore the windshield from before the tiller manís seat and a section of the door was ripped out by the moving truck.
   Another  fireman seized the steering wheel and the truck went on to answer a call at Trillinís restaurant. 900 Broadway. A burning electric motor caused about $50 damage, George Hillson, deputy chief, said,
   An ambulance was called for Gagnebin, who had been made unconscious. Two firemen revived Gagnebin.
   Chief Hillson said the station doors are set to close a minute and forty-five seconds after they open. He said the timing mechanism apparently was faulty.

[The Kansas City Times. Kansas City, MO, 17 Jan 1955, Mon, Page 10]

   Philip Gagnebin, who underwent surgery several weeks ago in a hospital at Kansas City and is now at the home of his mother, Mrs. Fay Jameson, in Albany, is getting along satisfactorily.

[Albany Ledger, Albany, MO, 26 Apr 1956, Thu, Page 4]


   Philip E. Gagnebin, 32 years of age, died last Thursday, at the home of his mother, Mrs. Fay Jameson, following a lingering Illness.
   A veteran of World War II, he operated the Standard service station in Albany for a time before becoming a member of the fire department at Kansas City.
   The following obituary has been furnished this newspaper:    Philip Eugene Gagnebin, son of Fay Marie Jameson and Edward Dewey Gagnebin, was born at Oakwood, Okla., in Jan. 26, 1924. The family also lived in Colorado, Hutchinson, Kan., and McFall, Mo.
   At Hutchinson, Philip became fascinated with the training of the paratroopers. So at the age of 18, he enlisted in that branch of the services. He gave nine years of his short life to the service of his country. Most of this was overseas in the Philippines in World War II and in Japan and Korea in the Korean conflict.
   In December of 1943, he was united in marriage with Edna Jewell Nichols at Kansas City. They became the parents of two children: Loyal, age 9, and Phyllis Jean, age 5.
   Upon separation from the armed services, Philip entered business in Albany where he remained one year before joining the fire department in Kansas City where he was employed two years before he became ill.
   Five months ago, he underwent surgery and since then has been cared for in his home in Kansas City and at the home of his mother in Albany where he passed away May 24, 1956. Throughout these weeks of suffering, he received the very best of medical attention and loving care.
   Besides his wife and two children, mother and father, he is survived "by two brothers and two sisters, Mrs. Elizabeth Francisco of Albany, Bill E. Gagnebin with the Air Force at Grandview, Mo., Don L. Gagnebin of Kansas City, Kan., and Mrs. Erma Fern Polley of Ridgeway, Mo.; grandmother, Mrs. Elizabeth Brown of Los Animas, Colo.; a step-father, Dan Jameson; a step-mother, Mrs. Dewey Gagnebin, of Oklahoma City, and many other relatives and friends.
  Funeral services were conducted Sunday afternoon from 'the Brooks Funeral Home by the Rev. Geo. W. Manning. Burial with military graveside services was in Grandview cemetery.

[Albany Ledger, Albany, MO, 31 May 1956, Thu, Page 1]

[courtesy of Janet Allison]

Application for a headstone and resulting marker for Philip E. Gagnebin to be erected in Grandview Cemetery, Albany (Gentry county), Missouri.


Philip registered for the draft in Kansas City, Missouri on 30 June 1942 and was indicated into the Army on 23 October 1942.

Pvt Gagnebin was a member of Hq 2nd, 508th PIR.  He was probably transferred into the company during 1942 but the Hq 2nd Morning Reports for that period are unavailable.

His photo was included in the Hq 2nd company  montage which was taken ca. April 1943.  His single Morning Report entry was on 12 May 1943 when he was placed in the regimental guard house for an unknown reason.

It is assumed that he was transferred out of the regiment and into an infantry unit.  He was discharged on 5 November 1945.

He re-enlisted at Fort Riley, KS on 14 November 1946 and served during the Korean Conflict.  He was discharged on 17 September 1952.

His grave marker application indicates that he attained the grade of SFC, had served with HQ Company, 31st Engineer Combat Battalion and that he had been awarded a Bronze Star Medal.


Copyright and all other rights reserved by the Family and Friends of The 508th Parachute Infantry Regiment Association or by those who are otherwise cited,
For problems or questions regarding this web site, please contact