Home
What's New
Search Engine
Archives
Odyssey
Photo Gallery
Unit History
Unit Honors
TAPS
Voices Of Past
How To Submit

Back Up Next

FORT CAMPBELL NEWSLINE (1)

Noted Airborne Combat Team,
508th, To Pass Through City

   Annistonians will see units of one of the most famous existing military units Wednesday when the 508th "Red Devil" Airborne Regimental Combat Team passes through.
   The 508th --- commanded by Col. Glenn J. McGowan ---  is being transferred from Fort Benning, Ga. to Fort Campbell, Ky, and will make a stop for gas at Fort McClellan tomorrow afternoon.
   Component units of the 508th Airborne Regimental Combat Team are the 508th Airborne Infantry Regiment, 320th Airborne Field Artillery Battalion, 598th Airborne Engineer Company and the 510th Airborne Quartermaster Detachment.

Formed in 1951
  The combat team was born Aug 1, 1951, when the 508th Airborne Regiment and the 320th Airborne Field Artillery Battalion were combined at Fort Benning.
   The original 508th Infantry Regiment jumped into Normandy on D-Day with the 82nd Airborne Division and went on to Frankfurt-am-Main after VE Day to become honor guard unit for Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower's headquarters. The 508th Regiment came to Fort Benning from Fort Bragg, N.C. in May, 1951.
   The colorful history of the 320th Airborne Field Artillery Battalion dates back to World War I when it fought at St. Mihiel, Meuse - Argonne and Lorraine.  Known as the 320th Glider Artillery Battalion during World War II, it saw action in Sicily, Naples-Foggia, Normandy, Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace and Central Europe campaigns.  It was reactivated at Fort Benning in August, 1951, to become part of the combat team.

First Such Unit
   Organized at Fort Benning in November, 1952 the 19th Airborne Quartermaster Company was the first such unit in the Army.  Its job is to pack and maintain all parachutes and airborne equipment for the 508th and supervise all the heavy equipment drops.
  During World War II, the 508th Airborne Engineer Company served at Fort Mitchell, NC and was activated in August, 1951 as part of the 508th.
   One of only two airborne regimental combat teams on active duty, the 508th showed its combat readiness during maneuvers in December 1951, at Camp Rucker when it took the role of aggressor forces and opposed the 47th Infantry Division.

[Source: The Anniston Star, Anniston, AL, Tuesday, February 16, 1954, Page 7]

Two Airborne Pioneers With 508th At Fort

FORT CAMPBELL, Ky., Nov. 15, When airborne was in its infancy in the American Army, two master sergeants now serving with the 508th Airborne Regimental Combat Team were among those pioneers who paved the way for its development. Master Sergeants George W. Ivy and Ernest L. Dilburn embarked upon their airborne careers in 1940 when they became enlisted volunteers from the 29th Infantry Regiment, then stationed at Fort Benning, Ga.

The adventurous sergeants joined the first parachute test platoon of forty-eight enlisted men and two officers. Their mission was to study the parachute, master it, and show how it could be used most effectively as, a combat weapon.

In mld-1940 the platoon, moved to a special training field outside Hightstown, N.J. There they trained on jump towers perfecting the techniques of controlled descents and landing without injury.

The Hightstown session completed, the special platoon returned to Fort Benning. On August 14, 1940, they made their first jump from a static-rigged aircraft. This mass jump was largely instrumental in "selling" the War Department the potentials of the parachute in combat.

In September 1940, organization of the 501st Parachute Battalion was authorized. The test platoon was delegated as cadre to airborne-qualify the newly-formed unit.

When the Army staged its first major airborne training exercise in the Panama Canal Zone in August 1941, Sergeants Ivy and Dilburn were part of the group. Following this successful exercise, paratroop training swung into high gear. The Parachute School was set up under the Infantry and airborne in the American Army was on its way.

Reminiscing, over the growth of airborne in fifteen years, the "Red Devil' sergeants believe jumping techniques haven't changed. The only modifications are the training aids now employed.

Today having accumulated more than 500 jumps between them, the veteran paratroopers have fond memories of the small platoon that paved the skyroads for the airborne armadas in World War II.

Currently. a member of Headquarters company, 2nd Battalion, Sergeant Ivy serves as battalion intelligence sergeant and is an active member of the 508th High Powered Rifle Team. Sergeant Dilburn, a member of Headquarters and Headquarters company, serves as regimental Communications chief.

[Source: The Leaf Chronicle, Clarkesville, TN, Wednesday, November 17, 1954, Page 1]

Top of Page

Copyright and all other rights reserved by the Family and Friends of The 508th Parachute Infantry Regiment Association or by those who are otherwise cited,
For problems or questions regarding this web site, please contact
Jumpmaster.