The regiment moved into its new
home on March 25, 1943. From then until December 19, 1943, the
regiment conducted advanced and specialized training as well as spending
six weeks on the famous Tennessee maneuvers.
Camp Mackall Map shows unusual triangular runway layout and a large
parachute packing support area.
is a near duplicate of the map.
Division Training Center and Barracks (front
Army troops first came to the U.S.
Department of the Interior's game management land in the Hoffman area in
1941 during the Carolina Maneuvers. That area is about 40 miles west of
Fort Bragg on the west side of Drowning Creek. During the 1920s, the
Baltimore Barber Steamship Company established a hunting preserve there.
In 1922 they created Mossgeil Lake and constructed a log cabin on the
east shore. It became the commander's house during World War II.
a second cabin was built on the west shore, which served as a briefing
room during the war and is now the Range Control Office. In 1930, DuPont
Corporation purchased the property and added a lodge, which became the
Camp Mackall 's Officers' Club. That building burned in 1968, but the
On November 8, 1942, construction began on the Hoffman
Airborne Camp on 56,002.91 acres obtained from the Department of
Interior and purchased from local landowners. There were over 1,750
buildings erected mostly of the Theater of Operations (T/O) type. The
one-story T/O buildings were the most temporary construction with rough
plank siding covered with tarpaper. A heavier grade tarpaper served as
roofing material. Construction included seven service clubs, two
guesthouses, three libraries, 16 post exchanges, 12 chapels, a hospital,
65 miles of roads and three 5,000' runways in a triangle. Those
buildings included headquarters for the U.S. Army Airborne Command, the
garrison command and the division headquarters. There were also numerous
service buildings The camp's cantonment area was constructed with
a north and south area separated by about a mile with the Station
Hospital in between closer to the north area. The south barracks area
was for troops in training and contained all the services necessary to
sustain them. Those troops began arriving in January 1943. They were to
receive basic training there in addition to perfecting their parachuting
and gilder skills.