What's New
Search Engine
Photo Gallery
Unit History
Unit Honors
Voices Of Past
How To Submit

Back Up Next


From The


Dear 508 Veterans,
            Family Members,
                         or Friends of the 508th

Staff Sgt. Damion G. Campbell, 1st Battalion, 508 Infantry Regiment,
173rd Airborne Brigade, KIA in Afghanistan

Sgt. Damion G. Campbell of the 1st Battalion, 508th Infantry Regiment, was killed by an by a roadside bomb during a combat patrol in Khayr Kot, Afghanistan, on August 26, 2005. Sgt. Campbell was 23 years of age and hailed from Baltimore, Maryland. (This news forwarded by Gene Garren, U.S. Army Special Forces [Retired].)

“It’s Never too Late for Reunions” by Carl H. Porter, Service Company.

[Story originally sent to Zig Boroughs and forwarded to the editor by Heimer Swanson, Service Company Rep.]

“Well, I finally took the time to read “The 508 Connection” from cover to cover, and I thank you for such fine work. I had read many of the stories individually (stories of men I had come to know through our reunions, in addition to Rigger buddies like John Kersh), but reading them in proper sequence from Blanding to Frankfurt added a meaningful perspective.

“I had a remarkable paratrooper experience recently that you may find interesting.  In one of the upcoming issues of Static Line, you will see Lyle Jim Borden’s name in the Taps column. Jim and I went through Basic Training together at Camp Roberts, California, and became close friends. He and I (and one other infantryman) volunteered for the Paratroops and traveled to Fort Benning together. En route, Jim and I had a patriotic symbol tattooed on our right forearms as evidence of our commitment to becoming, and serving as, paratroopers.

“After qualifying, we were separated and never saw nor heard from each other until Jim saw my name in the Static Line a few months ago and called me on the phone!  I learned that he had gone directly to the 505, while I went to [Camp] Blanding with what appeared to be the last bunch (only?) of pre-qualified jumpers.  Jim wound up in just about every combat operation from Italy on, and although he survived the war and led a very productive life, he had inhaled phosphorus fumes [during the war] and suffered respiratory problems. He was on oxygen when we talked (twice after we got in touch), and he passed away August 2, 2005.

“It breaks my heart that our reunion was so short, but wasn’t I lucky that Jim found me and we were able to re-establish our friendship.”


Bill Nation

Click To Email:

Top of Page

Copyright and all other rights reserved by the Family and Friends of The 508th Parachute Infantry Regiment Association or by those who are otherwise cited,
For problems or questions regarding this web site, please contact