Death certificate, grave marker application, and resulting
grave marker for Pvt Earl Anderson in Acacia Part 3, Lot 393, Grave
3, Evergreen Cemetery and Mausoleum, Evergreen
Park (Cook County), Illinois.
Pvt Anderson left for a 10-day furlough on 22
March 1943 to visit his parents in Chicago.
He became ill while traveling and was
admitted to the Station Hospital, Fort Thomas, KY on 6 April 1943.
He died on 7 May 1943 after a month of
hospitalization and never made it home to Chicago.
Earl enlisted in the Army at Chicago, IL on 20 October 1942.
The following day Pvt Anderson was transferred from the
Reception Center, Fort Grant, Ill to Company C, 508th PIR
Camp Grant, named for General Ulysses S. Grant, was located in the southern outskirts of Rockford, IL,
about 90 miles NE of Chicago, Serving as a National Guard
post, Camp Grant had been re-activated in February 1941 as an induction center and Army Medical Service individual training center
providing physical and medical exams for new U.S. Army soldiers was the main focus, although a large number of personnel also went through Camp Grant for their Army basic training.