What's New
Search Engine
Photo Gallery
Unit History
Unit Honors
Voices Of Past
How To Submit

Colonel Roy E. Lindquist, Pioneer Paratrooper, Leads 508th Regiment

   It was another brisk, sunny November day at Fort Benning. The grass was still green and growing, particularly around Lawson Field.
   Small groups scattered in front of hangers occasionally looked up toward a lazy transport. The plane banked and then leveled off for a pass over the field.     There were clouds in the sky but not many. These were on the horizon far away and few if any, paid much attention to them.  "I think they're going to jump now," a private remarked to his buddy standing beside him. Then he changed his mind with, "Well, maybe they won't. You can never tell what Those fellows might try next."
   "Sure, I know," the other replied, "I heard a sergeant say this morning that they were called paratroopers. There's a battalion of them here but I'll bet they'll never get that many guys to jump out of an airplane."
    But most of them were not talking about the "new bunch of daredevils, the paratroops."
    For one thing, a few days ago President Roosevelt had shattered all tradition with his election to a third term.
   Then the war in Europe wasn't phony any more, but France had surrendered and England was on the ropes.
   There was something wrong with Army's football team but maybe it was still good enough to take care of Navy.
    The Garand rifle, known at The Infantry School as the M1, still wasn't as good as the old, proven Springfield as far as many of the line infantrymen were concerned.
   It was 1940.
   To the casual observer the 501st Parachute Infantry Battalion, the first T/O jump unit in the U. S. Army, was just like any other battalion two months out of the reception center. That Is, it was almost like any other battalion except that this battalion was going to jump and did about five times as much running, tumbling and calisthenics as anyone had ever done before at Ft. Benning.
   For the most part the plane over Lawson Field was filled with officers who were organizing the Battalion. All 13 of them had received about five minutes instruction before emplaning and today they were going to make the first jump of the 501st.
   The third man out of the plane was Colonel Roy E. Lindquist, then Captain Lindquist. Like the others, he vent through the door depending on a bulky T-5 assembly and a reserve that covered his entire chest.
   Leading the stick was Maj. Gen. William M. Miley, today commander of the 17th Airborne Division but then a major and battalion commander. He was making a full equipment jump and his first landing wasn't easy, in fact he broke his shoulder.

   No one else in the 501st jumped that day. Not because the commander broke his shoulder, nor because the instructions based largely on experiments of the Test Platoon were inadequate, but the plane, an obsolete C-39, was only available for 20 minutes, long enough to make the one shot flight.
   Between that first jump and the 29th he took a short time ago, Col. Lindquist has checked plenty of canopys [sic] and felt plenty of prop blast roar past the door. That day in 1940 he was the 501st Battalion adjutant, but the pioneer work in process then was to later serve as a guide in the organization of his own unit, the 508th Parachute Infantry Regiment.
   Before getting into the Troops, Col. Lindquist had served as company and staff officer in various infantry units and as an instructor and member of the board at The Infantry School.
   In 1937, seven years after his graduation from West Point, two of his non-coms of Company B, 29th Infantry were showing the qualities of leadership and judgment required of parachute officers. Today both are still with him, Major Royal R. Taylor, executive officer. Second Battalion, and Captain Woodrow W. Millsaps. commander, Company B.
   While at The Infantry School, Col. Lindquist drafted Field Manuel 22-5. better known as the IDR or Infantry Drill Regulation. He also wrote Field Manuel 23-5. or the bible of the M1 rifle, as well as regulations of formal guard mount.
   Why did he join the paratroops?   He was coach of the Fort Benning baseball team in 1940 and General Miley, then a major, was post athletic director. General Miley was ordered by the War Department to organize the 501st Battalion and one of the first officers he asked to join was Colonel Lindquist.
   Colonel Lindquist was the adjutant and according to the T/O at that time, a non-jumper. But even in those days jump units didn't always have what the T/O called for.
   For example this first adjutant of the 501st became a qualified jumper as fast as planes were made available. But it was January before the plane returned and the first 13 as well as the rest of the Battalion could get in six jumps, the required number then.
   Colonel Lindquist left the 501st in the spring of 1941 to become S-1 of the Provisional Parachute Group; then in the spring of 1942, G-1 of Airborne Command at Fort Bragg.
   During 1941 other parachute battalions were formed: namely, the 502nd, 503rd and 509th. In the spring of 1942 the 502nd and 503rd Battalions were expanded to regiments and the 504th, 505th and 507th Regiments organized.
   The 508th Regiment, which was to be commanded by Colonel Lindquist, was scheduled for activation October 20, 1942.
   Like the 501st Regiment, the 508th was formed with personnel volunteering directly from reception centers. Some 3500 to 4000 were screened to obtain 2200. This hand-picked group was then given basic training at Camp Blanding. Florida and then went through jump school. at Fort Benning as a unit in battalion classes.
   From then on the story of Colonel Lindquist, the jumper, and that of the 508th are parallels. He led the Red Devil regiment from the maneuver areas of Carolina and Tennessee overseas into Normandy, Holland and Belgium under colors of the veteran 82nd Airborne Division.
   Perhaps the day isn't too far distant when he'll lead the Red Devils back. For there's a Pittsfield, Maine home and family waiting for trim too: his wife, Mrs. Alice Lindquist, and two sons, Roy, Jr. age, 12, and Robert, age 9.
   His hobbies are sports, all sports. At West Point he was captain of the Ice Hockey team and white a yearling, he qualified as one of the school's legendary diamond heroes by belting a home run as the Army whipped Navy. 9-7.
   Today Colonel Lindquist has not forgotten how to win ball games—or how to make home runs.

Copyright and all other rights reserved by the Family and Friends of The 508th Parachute Infantry Regiment Association or by those who are otherwise cited,
For problems or questions regarding this web site, please contact