What's New
Search Engine
Photo Gallery
Unit History
Unit Honors
Voices Of Past
How To Submit


[A 1975 newspaper article included this photo captioned "140-170-120 referencing Merlin's weight fluctuations, as described in the story]

Well relaxed and far away from Stalag 4B, Martin J. Tindal of the Hog Kill can afford to take it easy now. A member of the 82nd Airborne that went into France on D-Day, he was captured by the Germans. From June 6th, 1944, to May 8th 1945, he was a prisoner. He remembers vividly his group of prisoners of war being stoned by people in Paris.  He could tell at the time that they were being forced to do so by German S.S. Troops
      In prison he worked 72 hours a week, at first at odd jobs like filling bomb craters, but for the last six months in a saw mill. When Merlin joined up with the Army he weighed 140 pounds, when he went into France that day he weighed 170, and when he came out of prison he scaled at 140.  Rutabagas were the main prison bill-of-fare; meat was a tea-cup-sized amount in a week; two slices of dark bread ere allowed every other day and 4 potatoes on the alternate days.
     He remembers well the Christmas party in prison; a good time, and the day he got two Red Cross boxes at once.
     Merlin is back on his old job.  He is the son of Sam Tindal of the Fresh [Sausage] elevator.

[Jumpmaster Note: Merlin wrote at the bottom: "I worked for Hormel 41 1/2 years."  Hormel is a meat-packing company, well known for its canned ham and other related products. That may explain the reference in the article to "Hog Kill", an early stage of the processing cycle.  It also helps to understand his father's role at the "Fresh Sausage elevator."  The article may have come from an employee newsletter where these references were commonly used terminology.]


Copyright and all other rights reserved by the Family and Friends of The 508th Parachute Infantry Regiment Association or by those who are otherwise cited,
For problems or questions regarding this web site, please contact