The 3rd Platoon had no Platoon Leader on the attack of Devils Hill. The
Platoon Leader Lt. Combs was hit in the legs by flak before the jump and
droped [sic] near Wyler, Germany. 2nd Lt Alexander was KIA in
Nijmegen the night of 17 Sept.
2. As I recall S/Sgt Jahnigen acted
as Platoon Leader for the 3rd Platoon.
3. The attack order was passed down
the line just before we got to the ridge. We attack[ed] on the run over
the ridge and down the north east side of the hill. The Germans on that
side of the hill had their backs to us. The ones we did not kill ran
down the hill into the woods.
4. After the attack the 3rd Platoon
took the position that we ran the Germans out of.
5. I don't recall any KIA's or
wounded in the 3rd Platoon.
6. I had no thoughts of being over
run until we were low on ammo. At the time of one of the attacks we were
low on ammo, I thought this was it. I got out of my foxhole an[d]
sat on the side of it to see better for my Sqd was on the side of the
hill looking down into the woods.
7. As for food and water after we
were out we got it out of the dead German packs.
8. The system I used for security
was ever another [sic] man awake two hrs at a time.
9. No rest for me the first night.
10. I was 100 yds or so from the
11. To see Lt. Foley I went to the
Sqd leader 1st Sqd 3rd Platoon