What's New
Search Engine
Photo Gallery
Unit History
Unit Honors
Voices Of Past
F&F Association
How To Submit


[ courtesy of P Barela]

   BROWN ---Herman A. Brown, 83, a resident o Albuquerque for right years, died Tuesday, November 29, 1994. 

He is survived by his daughter Janet B. Doty and husband, William L, Doty of :Los Linas [Lunas] son, George A. Brown and wife, Stephanie Michelle Doty, both of Palmer, AK, grandchildren Lari Doty and Michelle Doty, both of Los Lunas, Shari Brown, Terese Brown, Natalie Brown and Cameron Brown, all of Plmer [Palmer], AK; three great-grandchildren; and sister, Mabel Parkinson of Tulsa, OK.  Mr. Brown was preceded in death by his wife, Micki Brown in 1991.

He served in the US Army during WWII, was a POW and a Purple Heart recipient.

Mr. Brown was the President of Retirement Club of IBEW Local 611, and was a member of the union for 49 years.  He was past president of the Palo Duro Senior Citizens Fishing Club.  Mr. Brown was an avid bowler.

Services will be held Saturday, 10:30 a.m., at French Mortuary, University Blvd.  Chapel, 1111 University Blvd. NE with Reverend Charles E. Price officiating.  Cremation will follow the service.  Friends may visit French mortuary, Friday from 4:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.  Should friends desire, memorial contributions may be made in his memory to the Salvation army, 501 Broadway, NE, 87102.

Grave marker for Herman A. Brown in  Sunset Memorial Park, Albuquerque (Bernalillo county), New Mexico.

For some reason his draft record implies he did not register for the draft until age 23, ca 1944.  But, he was already serving at that time.

Herman, a National Guardsman,  enlisted in the Army at Pawhuska, OK on 16 September at age 19, four years earlier than the draft registration date.

On 16 October 1942, Pvt Brown was transferred from the Parachute School, Fort Benning, GA to Hq Hq, 508th PIR as a member of the cadre team.  

Pvt Brown was sent to a school on 17 July 1943, perhaps for medical training.  On 25 May 1944, SSgt Brown was attached to Hq 3rd from the Medical Detachment.

SSgt Brown was initially listed on Hq 3rd Morning Reports as missing in action as of 6 June 44.  His status was changed on 31 August 1944 to "from missing in action to slightly wounded in action 4148 Hospital plant APO #63 US Army" [that hospital was in Fairford, Gloucestershire, England.  He returned to duty on 22 September 1944 and was transferred to Service Company for light duty.

On 18 December 1944, he was transferred back to the Medical Detachment

Similar to the date confusion on his draft registration is the fact that the National Archives records show he was taken prisoner on 6 June 1944.  How he came to return to his unit is an unknown, perhaps he managed to escape his captors but in any instance, he is shown on duty with the regiment as early as 23 September 1944 when he was released from the hospital.

Copyright and all other rights reserved by the Family and Friends of The 508th Parachute Infantry Regiment Association or by those who are otherwise cited,
For problems or questions regarding this web site, please contact