What's New
Search Engine
Photo Gallery
Unit History
Unit Honors
Voices Of Past
F&F Association
How To Submit


   Wilbur B. Buell, 242 Fifth St., died Tuesday, May 4, 1982, at St. Agnes Hospital at the age of 61. He was a machinist for Giddings & Lewis from 1950 until he retired last August.
   Mr. Buell was born in Fond du Lac on June 7, 1920, the son of Vernon and Ella Hackbarth Buell and was married to Margaret Goebel on June 22, 1950, at St. Mary's Church here.
    He served for 3 1/2 years with the armed forces in Europe in World War II, was a past president of the Fond du Lac Rifle and Pistol Club and was a former president of the Boys Baseball Association.
   Surviving are his widow; a son, John, city; three daughters, Mrs. Duane (Mary) Johnson of Janesville, Mrs. Ken (Ann) Sauerwein of Milwaukee and Kathryn of the city; and three brothers, Norman of Mount Calvary, Leonard, city, and Stanley of North Fond du Lac.
    He was preceded in death by a sister and his parents.
   The body will lie in state Thursday from 3 to 9 p.m. at the Twohig- Wimberger Funeral Home. Funeral services will be at 10 a.m. Friday at the funeral home and at 10:30 a.m. at St. Mary's Catholic Church. The Revs. Nicholas Goebel and Peter Carek will officiate with the Revs. Walter Morgan, John H. Goebel and Raymond Ziegler as concelebrants.
   Entombment will be at the Chapel of the Risen Christ mausoleum at Calvary.
   Memorials may be sent to Hospice Hope or to St. Mary's Springs High School.

[Fond Du Lac Commonwealth Reporter, Fond Du Lac, WI, 05 May 1982, Wed, Page 24]


Wilbur registered for the draft in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin on 1 July 1941 and was inducted into the Army  at Milwaukee, WI on 20 May 1942.

Pvt Buell was transferred from Field Force Replacement Depot 19 to Service Company, 508th PIR on 27 May 1944.

On 10 July 1944 he was sent on Detached Service to Hq 82nd Airborne Division.  Six days later, presumably having returned from the temporary assignment, he was transferred to Company I.

He was promoted to Pfc on 31 August 1944.

He was slightly wounded on 28 December 1944 but remained on duty.

He was wounded a second time on 1 January 1945, with penetrating wounds to his hand caused by artillery shell fragments.  He was able to return to duty the following month.

Pfc Buell was discharged from the Army on 7 November 1945 and married Margaret Goebel in Fond du Lac, WI on 22 June 1950.

Copyright and all other rights reserved by the Family and Friends of The 508th Parachute Infantry Regiment Association or by those who are otherwise cited,
For problems or questions regarding this web site, please contact