What's New
Search Engine
Photo Gallery
Unit History
Unit Honors
Voices Of Past
F&F Association
How To Submit

   Seaside---(U.P. --- John D. Crafard, 34, a Seaside logger, was killed instantly yesterday when a log rolled down a hill and struck him about six miles east of Arch Cape in southern Clatsop county.

[Daily Capital Journal (Salem, Oregon) Fri, Feb 22, 1957 Page 11 ]


Log Crushes
   Seaside Man
 --- A log broke loose on a hillside near here yesterday and fatally crushed John D. Crafard, 34, of Seaside.
   Another logger escaped death by throwing himself between two stumps as the 45-foot log came crashing down the hill.  He is Leslie Banyard, also of Seaside.

[Daily Capital Journal (Salem, Oregon) Fri, Feb 22, 1957 Page 11 ]

NOTE: Changes in red to surname and DOB are both incorrect.`

[courtesy of Judith Crafard-Wilkinson]
Application for a grave marker or headstone and the family stone for John "Jack" David Crafard in Ocean View Cemetery, Warrenton (Clatsop county), Oregon.  Photo of military-style marker not currently available.

John married Bettie Marie Sharp in January, 1942 but was drafted seven months later. On 23 October 1942, Pvt Crafard [frequently misspelled as "Craford" or Crawford"] was transferred from the Reception Center, Fort Lewis, WA to Company C, Camp Blanding, FL.

On 5 December 1942, Pvt Crafard was transferred to Company G.  Following completion of jump school at Fort Benning, GA, he placed on special duty and then detached service to attend the demolitions school at Benning.

Pvt Crafard was next sent to Camp Mackall as a member of a cadre team.  He rejoined regiment which was on the Tennessee Maneuvers at Lebanon, TN on 20 September 1943.

Pvt Crafard was promoted directly from Pvt to Cpl on 21 July 1944 after the regiment returned from the Normandy Campaign.

On 25 September 1944 Cpl Crafard was wounded in action in Holland.  

He returned to duty of November 1st  and was immediately transferred to Service Company for future recuperation.  It was not until 9 December that Cpl Crafard returned to duty with Company G.

He was hospitalized nearly 4 weeks in the December 1944. - January 1945 timeframe.  Classed as a "non-battle" injury, he mAy have suffered frostbite.

ON 19 August 1945, Sgt Crafard was transferred to the 513th PIR, perhaps to facilitate his return to the U.S.  He was honorably discharged five weeks later on 25 September.

His military decorations include the Bronze Star Medal, Combat infantryman badge and Bronze Service Arrowhead Device.

Jack and wife Bettie had three children: Novella May, Ferol Josephine and John David, III.

Related item of interest:

  On 17 Jan 1953, Jack's older brother, George W. Crafard also died tragically when he was caught in an avalanche near Salyer, CA.

George served as a tail gunner in the Pacific Theater in the Army Air Corps during WWII.

Copyright and all other rights reserved by the Family and Friends of The 508th Parachute Infantry Regiment Association or by those who are otherwise cited,
For problems or questions regarding this web site, please contact