What's New
Search Engine
Photo Gallery
Unit History
Unit Honors
Voices Of Past
F&F Association
How To Submit



   The body of Sergeant William R. Groy, husband of Bette Shank Groy,1221 West Main Street, Palmyra [PA], who was killed in action, June 9, 1944, was reinterred with full military honors in the Hersey Cemetery yesterday.
   Services were conducted in Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, Hershey, with the pastor, Rev. George Mack, officiating, prior to the military rites conducted by members of the Hershey and Palmyra American legion Posts.
   Ivan Morse served as chaplain for the military service and the bugler was John W. Steen.
   Members of the color guard and bearers included: Emanuel Groff, Thomas Dresher, Frank Tulli, and Brent Hancock, and the firing squad, commanded by John Klinger, consisted of Gerald Byle, Lawson Gable, John Sauley, William Estep, Warren Spancake,  Guy Goodman, Alfred Beilan, John Nornhold.
   The bearers were: Jay Curry, Matthew Curry, Robert Roy, William Hartsock, Mark Henry and John Emerich.
   Arrangements were in charge of Norman j. Rothermel of Palmyra.

[probably appeared in the Harrisburg Telegraph, Jay 5, 1948]

Death certificate for Sgt William R. Groy issued by Commonwealth of Pennsylvania records his death on 8 June 1944 in Normandy, France.

William enlisted in the Army at Harrisburg, PA on 19 November 1942. 

Cpl Groy was transferred to Hq 1st, 508th PIR  from the 2nd Army Umpire School on 9 September 1943.  His role was to act as an umpire during the Tennessee Maneuvers while in a TDY status from 13 September 1943 to 6 November 1943.

On 6 November 1943, Cpl Groy was relieved of his assignment and returned to his original unit.

That unit may have been Company D, 501st Parachute Infantry Regt, 101st Airborne Division which Sgt Groy was a member of when he was killed in Action on 9 June 1944.

Application for Pennsylvania WWII Compensation was made in William's name by his parents, Paul and Ruth Groy.

William's enlistment date of November 24, 1942 was noted as well as his domestic service ending with his shipment to the ETO on January 15, 1944.

His foreign service then began with January 16, 1944 ending with his death on June 9, 1944.

His bereaved parents received the $500 which was due to William for his service to his county.