USS LST-347 (Landing Ship, Tank) was built at the Norfolk Navy Yard,.
Its keel was was laid down on 10 November 1942 and the completed ship
was launched and commissioned on 7 February 1943.
During World War II, LST-347 was assigned to the European theater and
participated in multiple operations in the European theater: the Sicilian occupation-July 1943, Salerno landings-September
1943 and the invasion of Normandy-in June 1944 LST-347 earned
three battle stars for its World War II service.
A relatively small ship with two diesel engines and twin screws,
it was operated by a complement of 7 officers and 204 enlisted men.
The LST was 27 in length and had a beam (width) of 50 feet. When
fully loaded its draft was 8 feet forward and 14'4" aft.. Not
built for speed, it could attain 10.8 knots maximum but typically ran at 9 knots,
an economy speed. Although it would have presented a great target
for U-boars, the ship was lightly armed with just a 3"/50 DP; (Dual
Purpose) gun with 1 40mm and 6 20mm barrels.
LST was a versatile ship with a displacement: of 1490 tons (lite); or 4,080 tons
when it carried a full load of 2,100 tons). It typically carried smaller craft topside
and its a tunnel-like hold could be filled with tanks,
vehicles, guns or cargo.
On 19 December 1944 she was
transferred to the United Kingdom and returned to United States Navy
custody in January 1948. On 23 January 1948, the ship was again transferred
to France on lease. On 21
March 1949. LST-347 was sold to France and was struck from the Navy list
on 28 April 1949.